[IP] Re: Pizza effect

>In my experience with pizza, I have found that the more vegetables on
>pizza, the less trouble I have with it.  So, I tend to have the
>"vegetarian" type pizza which has lots of vegetables, no meat, and
>cheese.  This works for me, even when eating pizza out.

That's interesting, and supports the inkling of a theory I have...that
being certain types of fats and/or protein have the amino acids in them
that lead to the glucagon effect.

Last night, I had a pasta dish with hardly any protein, and a
reasonable amount of fat (not excessive by any means).  Anyhow, 2 1/2
hours later, my BG level was a bit high, so I gave a small correction
bolus.  After another hour it had shot up even more, despite my
correction.  I ended up needing to give a large correction.  The only
explanation for the delayed rise is the glucagon effect.  (The initial
high was probably due to a mis-calculation in portion size.)

So, protein is NOT the difference in this case since there was very
little protein.  Once again, I needed roughly 50% EXTRA insulin in
order to cover the meal.

One thing I've noticed is that deep-dish pizza causes a far larger
delayed rise than regular pizza, even though I'm eating the same
carbs.  The difference here is the fact that they cook the pizza in
oil.  But, it isn't just a delay caused by fat, but an actual need for
more insulin.  So, the oil they cook the pizza in, OR perhaps a
difference in the dough (since I know that the type of flour they use
for Pan pizza at Little Caesars, at least, is different), is causing a
glucagon effect.

Now, you say that the meat on pizza causes the pizza effect more than
without meat, and you have just veggies. It might, then, be a certain
COMBINATION of foods.  Or, meat (assuming Pepperoni or sausage) might
contain a different kind of fat than, say, hamburger.  But, then again,
I can eat a Sausage biscuit in the morning without a delayed rise.

What I need to do is conduct a survey of all the SPECIFIC foods people
eat that causes a pizza effect, and then compare nutritional
information of them all, including ingredients, and see if I can find a
pattern.  For example, certain brands of pizza might be more likely to
cause it because of different ingredients.  Perhaps it isn't the fat,
protein, or dough at all...but the tomato sauce!  Who knows.  :-)