Re: [IP] Mary tyler moore, her contribution to diabeasties.

In a message dated 9/22/2002 4:03:34 PM Mountain Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> As for Mary Tyler Moore, she's doing a lot more for
> diabetes than most people.

Amen!  She was the first person (celebrity or otherwise) I ever heard of with
"juvenile" diabetes.  If it weren't for her, I for one wouldn't have even
known that there were  different types of diabetes or anything about the
differences.  When one of my friends back in high school in the mid 70s was
diagnosed, it was because of MTM that any of us had any idea that diabetes
wasn't just something that old people "got" and that he could live a "normal"
life.  I can remember us all talking about how not only was she an actress,
but had been a dancer and still danced for fun and to stay in shape.  My
friend was involved in theater in high school, and I know it meant a lot to
him to have her being open about her diabetes even way back then (when it was
an even greater risk career wise to do so) . . .

Pumpmama to Katie