Re: [IP] Re: "Pizza effect

At 11:50 PM 9/21/02 -0400, you wrote:
 >At 03:15 PM 9/20/02 -0400, you wrote:
 >  >So the big question on everyone's mind, Liz, is what do you bolus for
 >  >your delicious home made pizza?
 >3 units for a 2-1/2 x 5" rectangle.
 >	Well based on my photographic recall of 10th grade geometry,
 >that 12.5 sq in area of your pizza is about equal to a normal  pizza
 >wedge from an 11.5 in round pizza divided into 8 slices.   That is a
 >tiny pizza, tinier than any local  pizza i can get delivered.
 >   So have we finally solved the pizza mystery?  I mean if you have a
 >slice from a normal 16 in large pizza, one slice is exactly twice the
 >area of one of your slices.  So you would need 6 u for that, but
 >that's a lot of insulin per slice, and i bet most people don't do
 >that much.

Probably not.  But I use a fairly low carb to insulin ratio of 10 to
1.  That little piece was 30 grams of carb, believe it or not.  I know how
many ounces of flour went into the dough.

I think you're right though--if I interpret correctly--that people tend to
underestimate how much they're actually eating.  Especially where pizza and
bagels are concerned.

But underestimating the carbs is a simple problem with a clear symptom and
a clear solution.  My impression is that some people have a more
complicated problem with pizza, which causes their blood sugar to be normal
2 hours post pizza, but skyrocket later.

Personally, I don't experience this, probably because when I do eat pizza
it's the stuff I make myself.  Fois gras I have a problem with! (but not
very often)