Re: [IP] Thank You

In a message dated 9/21/02 4:53:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> As it turned out, I developed the stomach flu, after bolusing and attempting
> to eat dinner.  I never lost consciousness, but I don't remember everything
> that happened.  My bg's stayed in the 20's and 30's for nearly four hours,
> despite glucose tablets, juice, and finally glucagon.  I did go to the ER,
> but
> was never given a dextrose drip as the glucagon did finally kick in (we
> didn't
> want to take any chances at that point).

That reminds me of something that happened to me a few years back.  I was
still on MDI at the time and had eaten tacos (bad beef---bleck!) for dinner
and had taken my regular insulin to cover it.  I took my shot of NPH for
overnight and went to bed, then woke up in the middle of the night feeling
VERY nauseous.  When I started vomitting, it just wouldn't stop and my BG was
getting lower by the minute.  I was trying to sip regular soda to keep it up
but it just wasn't working.  I wasn't big on glucose tablets at the time so I
didn't have any around.  Anyway, I ended up in the ER around 4am.......and
the resident idiot ( ummmm I mean DR ) who came in to see me says "why did
you take your insulin if you were vomiting? You should know better than
that."  Try as I might I couldn't explain to him that I WASN'T FEELING SICK
when I took my insulin.....so why shouldn't I have taken it?  I didn't know I
was going to be throwing my guts up a couple of hours later.  He suggested
that I see the nutritionist, the diabetes educator, my endo, blah blah blah
to brush up on the diabetes basics again.  I suggested that he bite my A**.
After all was said and done he apologized.  He had consulted with some other
high muk-a-muks and they had set him straight.  They had also confirmed that
after 15 yrs (at that point) of handling my own diabetes, I knew more about
it than he would ever learn in medical school.  Ahhhhhh, sometimes life is
good :-)