Re: [IP] Re: Family trees?

OK, I've been reading this 'family tree' stuff and not saying anything but
thought I might as well.  My understanding is that Type 1 is not necessarily
a genetically based disease, any more than most cancers, or many other types
of diseases.  Yes, there is a greater likelihood if it IS in the family but
it does not HAVE to be in the family in order for someone to develop it in
THEIR life.  This is definately the case in OUR family as no one on my
husband's or my side of the family had diabetes, or much of anything else
that we have found (except hubby's uncle was struck with polio).  So all this
talk about family trees for figuring out why now really is like talking about
two different things, I think??!!!  This is how it was explained to us by our
endo, one of the top in his specialty field in the country, so I stopped
looking for a 'reason"  a long time ago and moved on!

mom to Joshua