[IP] IP] Re: Family trees?

At 12:19 PM 9/21/02, "jhughey" <email @ redacted> wrote:
>But, wouldn't those 15 y/o's have died probably before they had children and
>able to pass DM on? I'd think it would stop there.

Yes, true.  But if those 15 y/o's had a "weakness" for diabetes, then other
members in their families who also carried that "weakness" but not have the
disease could pass it on to their offspring.  There are no other Type 1s in
my family either, other than myself and my sister, but there are Type
2s.  I was a very healthy child and had no illnesses other than the
"normal" childhood ones.  My sister was dx'd around her 4th birthday so she
didn't have much time to be exposed to much.   My mother believed in breast
feeding her babies until well they were well past 6 months old so milk
didn't play a role.   Out of 6 children in my family, 2 ended up with
diabetes.  There's so much we don't know about how Type 1 diabetes is
passed on, that we can only suppose.