Re: [IP] Re: Glucagon

Please carry the glucagon!    Ambulances don't always arrive in time or
at all.     Once,  when Zachary was little we were in long line at a fast
food restaurant.   He was low (didn't know)  and all of a sudden fell against
One look and I knew he was about to go.    I grabbed him up,  forced my
way to the counter where I plopped him down and demanded soda instantly.
By the time they got it he was twitching and not sucking from the straw.

A manager saw what was happening and followed me out to our van
where I ran with him to get the glucagon.    Told him what was wrong
as Zach went into a seizure.   He went back inside to call the ambulance.
Administered glucagon when he quit seizing.    Waited 15 minutes and
he still hadn't come around.    Prepared and Gave him 2nd shot of glucagon.
It took about 8 more minutes till he moved a little and let out  a scream.
Yep he was coming around finally.

BUT THE AMBULANCE NEVER CAME!!!!    And the manager did call.
(Found out later after calling that firestation that both their ambulances
out on runs at the time.)

Without the glucagon kits he would have most likely went into another
seizure and who knows what would have happened next.    Oh,  and I
was 30 minutes from the nearest hospital WITHOUT traffic.

As far as the vomiting,  if you read any Red Cross First Aid books they will
all tell you that when someone is seizing you should not restrain them in
any way,  but that you SHOULD roll them to their side.   This prevents
them choking on any vomit,  saliva,  or blood from biting their tongue or
cheeks.    On their side,  things will drain out and prevent the choking.

And believe me,  I've had TOO MUCH experience dealing with seizures.
Zach has had 6 since going on the pump in February (and had plenty more
when he was younger plus occasionally through the years).    And my
hubby is a controlled epileptic who sometimes forgets to take his meds
resulting in seizures upon awakening.

Always keep glucagon handy and use it when necessary.

Fenton, MO