Re: [IP] fear does not work

They did much the same thing to me.  For the first couple of years after dx, I
was fine until I became a teenager, late high school early college, and then I
began to slack a little and the hormones just made it worse.  Well, the docs
all told me I would need dialysis, I would never have children, I would need
amputations, and would die and early and horrible death if I didn't do
everything they told me to do.  I shut down as well.  I completely rebelled.  I
figured, well, even when I try I can't get it right so I will die anyway, I may
as well enjoy my life now and forget this diabetes crap.  But it got worse.  So
I "ran away" from it all and took out an enormous student loan to go to a
school 1500 miles away from my doctors and parents.  A year later I had been
hospitalized twice for ketoacidosis and had to come home.  I eventually found
an excellent medical team and my parents and I have learned that those docs
were wrong.  I am now in therapy to get over my fears.  I can't help thinking
that if those doctors had been more encouraging, maybe things wouldn't have
turned out that way.  I will always be thankful that my parents were here to
pick me up when I fell.  I moved back into their house and they did everything
they could to get me healthy and back on my feet again.  Kids, those with and
without diabetes, need to be encouraged and know that you will love them and
support them no matter what.  That's what I hope to be as a parent someday
(since I CAN have children- nany nany boo boo ;)