Re: [IP] Re: "Pizza effect"

At 08:13 AM 9/20/02 -0400, you wrote:
 >Yes, I know the explanation was for all protein, but pizza is not
 >normally considered in the category of high protein meals.  I don't
 >have that problem with high protein meals--even a quarterpounder
 >doesn't raise BG like a slice of pizza, or as I mentioned a big block
 >of cheese by itself.  So that's why I questioned whether this
 >glucagon effect could be the explanation for pizza.  It doesn't seem
 >to be the main reason.

Well, it may not be the main reason for you.  You mentioned in an earlier
note that you had some issues with incorrect carb counting going on, vis a
vis pizza and bagels.  That can mess up your bg as well. <vbg>  Bagels here
in San Francisco often weigh more than 4 ounces a piece.  I hate to think
of their size in NYC.

But some people do have a problem with elevated blood sugars several hours
after a meal high in protein, even if there is no carb consumption at all.
That's what I'm addressing in my article. Not all people experience
this.  If you want to test yourself, eat a nice big prime rib with none of
the trimmings (baked potato, salad, creamed spinach, martini) and see what
happens to your blood sugar three or four hours later.

As far as pizza goes, it's a conundrum. The stuff from a pizza parlor can
be very high in protein (and fat).  For example, consider a thin-crust
pizza with sausage and pepperoni. A 10" round pizza usually has a good
pound of cheese on it, plus the sausage and pepperoni. That's probably a
pound and a half of protein _before_ you stuff the crust.

The crust can be a problem, too.  When I make a pizza at home I use a known
amount of dough so I can calculate the carbs per slice with reasonable
accuracy.  But when I buy it in a pizza parlor I don't have much
information to go on.  Plus, if I make a mistake on the carbs I probably
won't see the effect on my bg for several hours due to all the fat.  In my
experience, one slice of pizza-parlor pizza often has about 30 grams of carb.

So, it's trouble even if you don't experience the high-protein effect;
double trouble if you do.

Incidentally, I found mention in many of the source materials that in
people with diabetes there could well be some perturbation in the glucagon
release system.  I didn't find anything definitive, but the belief seems to
be that we release glucagon in excessive amounts--at least
initially.  Researchers seem to agree that there's a problem, but I didn't
find evidence that anyone had studied it systematically.