Re: [IP] Re: "Pizza effect" -Long

Hi Ryan,

I have been following your posts on delayed bg spikes from pizza, and thought
you might be interested in Dr. Richard Bernstein's theory that he calls the
"Chinese Restaurant Effect."  The theory is that your BG will rise if you eat
until you feel full, regardless of the actual nutritional content of the food.
 He describes it on one of his websites:
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/drbernstein/question1.htm, but I copied the
text for you below.

I think this might be a factor in the pizza effect.

By the way, the pizza/Chinese food effect has been discussed repeatedly on IP,
so you may find some interesting stuff by searching the archives.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Richard Bernstein M.D., F.A.C.E., F.A.C.N., C.W.S.
Many years ago a patient asked me why her blood sugar went for 90mg/dl up to
300mg/dl every afternoon after she went swimming. I asked her what she ate
before the swim. nothing, just a freebie, she replied. As it turned out, the
freebie was lettuce. When I asked her just how much lettuce she was eating
before her swims, she replied, A head.
A head of lettuce contains about 10 grams of carbohydrate which can raise a
Type 1 adults blood sugar about 50mg/dl at most. So what accounts for the
other 160mg/dl rise in her blood sugar?
The explanation lies in what I call the Chinese Restaurant Effect. Often
Chinese meals contain large amounts of protein or slow-acting,
low-carbohydrate foods such as bean sprouts, bok choy, mushrooms, bamboo
shoots, and water chestnuts, that can make you feel full.
How can these low-carbohydrate foods affect blood sugar so dramatically?
The upper part of the small intestine contains cells that release hormones
into the blood stream when they are stretched, as after a large meal. These
hormones signal the pancreas to produce some insulin to prevent the blood
sugar rise that might otherwise follow the digestion of a large meal. Since a
very small amount of insulin released by the pancreas can cause a large drop
in blood sugar, the pancreas simultaneously produces the less potent hormone
glucagon to offset the potential excess effect of the insulin. If youre a
diabetic and deficient in producing insulin, you might not release insulin,
but you will still release glucagon, which will cause gluconeogensis1 and
glycogenolysis2 and thereby raise your blood sugar. Thus, if you eat enough to
feel stuffed, your blood sugar can go up even if you eat something
indigestible, such as sawdust.
The lessons here are " Don't Stuff Yourself " and "Almost Nothing is
a Freebie (except non-caloric liquids)"
Richard K Bernstein, M.D., F.A.C.E., F.A.C.N., C.W.S.
Gluconeogenesis: the conversion of amino acids ( the building locks of
proteins ) to glucose by the liver
Glycogenolysis: the action of the breaking down of glycogen to glucose.

Colleen J. Brust