[IP] Insurance and pumps

I have been on my MM 511 pump since 08/26/02, switching from a MM 507 that I
had for 5 years.  At the time I switched, I was also thinking about switching
insurance HMO.  I am on United Medicare Complete for the St. Louis area.  The
insurance company that I was going to switch to was GHP Advantra.  I was told
by my endo's CDE that Advantra had an exclusive contract with Animas.  I
called the Animas company and spoke to a customer service person who advised
me to get my pump under my present insurance company as the Advantra company
was making it very difficult for anyone to qualify for a pump even the Animas.
I was considering the Animas. but decided on the MM 511.  Approval and
paperwork went through very quickly, and am very satisfied with the pump.

It seems that we, diabetics, are always having to fight all the time - the
disease, the insurance companies, the uneducated (on diabetes) employers, the
schools, and on and on.  A person should be allowed to get what pump that
satisfies their own criteria, and not someone in an office who does not know
what you need or what your requirements are for quality of life.  I will keep
on fighting. and all of you do the same.  It is the only way that we will