Re: [IP] FW: NNF - Low-Carb Diet Bad for Bones and Kidneys

Any time you eat a high protein diet you should take a
calcium supplement (calcium citrate is the most easily
assimilated by the body) to counteract the loss of
calcium (the excess protein leaches calcium from the
bones and it gets excreted through the kidneys, causing
stones). Doing so will help prevent stones from forming
(and osteoporosis). Also, an increase in fluid intake
to dilute the urine will help. Trust me, I know this
from experience (wish I didn't). The Kidney Stone
Handbook (author's name escapes me) explains all this
better than I ever could. I think the last sentence of
the info below is the most telling of all..."this is
compelling evidence against unbalanced diets". Note how
it doesn't say this is compelling against low-carb
diets per se, but *unbalanced* diets. Balance is the
key. If you choose to eat low carb then you need to
make sure that other nutrients are balanced in your
diet. I don't eat low carb but I got kidney stones
because I ate a lot of protein and didn't drink enough
water (and wasn't supplementing calcium - I am now,
thanks to that book I mentioned, and I've been stone
free for several years.) Of course, you should discuss
this with your own dr, that goes without saying.

Take care, Kerri
Chapman [Heaven's Here on Earth, 1994]

Someone posted:
The acid load in urine was increased significantly,
raising the risk
> > of kidney stones.  At the same time, calcium in the
urine increased by
> > over 60 percent.  The increased calcium excretion
was not compensated
> > by increased absorption from the intestine.
Therefore, calcium
> > balance decreased by 40 mg per day or about five
percent of usual
> > intake.  The study appeared in the August 2002
edition of the American
> > Journal of Kidney Diseases.
> >
> > HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:  Although this study
> > too short to observe a change in bone density, if
this pattern were
> > followed over years, it would almost certainly lead
to osteoporosis
> > and possible kidney stones.  Although the number of
subjects is small,