[IP] Re: FW: NNF - Low-Carb Diet Bad for Bones and Kidneys

FWIW, here  is the response from Atkins' book about the criticism
that his diet causes calcium loss (this was obviously published
long before the study in question was done).  Out of a long list of
"criticisms" he mentions in his book, it's the only one he admits
there MAY be something to:

"At least this one (the calcium-loss criticism) is not totally out of
left field.  There were several studies showing that people who took
in protein powder did excrete more urinary calcium than those who
did not.

However, Herta Spencer, M.D., repeated this study with meat.  Her
research concluded that calcium loss lasts only two weeks; the
body then readjusts itself, returning to a regular state of
homeostasis, and the calcium loss stops.

There is neither clinical nor epidemiological evidence that people
who consume a high protein diet develop more osteoporosis; so we
should place this complaint in the "needs more evidence"

-Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution

I noticed the subjects in the study only stayed on a "severely" carb-
restricted diet for two weeks, and then a "moderately" restricted
diet for only 4 weeks (don't know what qualifies as "moderately").
It seems like quite a stretch to assume that your body's behavior
as it adjusts to a very different way of eating will be a permanent
condition (especially since, according to Akins, there is research
indicating that it WON'T!)  Basically, I don't  think this study gives
any really substantial information about the results of staying on a
low-carb diet for years, or for a lifetime.

Also, even if calcium loss IS a concern with LC diets -- the
conclusion that this study is therefore "compelling evidence against
unbalanced diets" is unwarranted.  For many diabetics, low-fat/high-
carb diets certainly bring their share of problems as well!  Many of
us have found tight glucose control difficult or impossible on such
diets.  (and no, I'm not saying glucose control should be our ONLY
health concern, but I do think it's a pretty darn important one!)

To the extent that this study IS valid, I would say it's only evidence
that a LC diet isn't perfect.  It may well still be the best choice for
those whose bodies don't metabolize carbohydrates properly.