[IP] more on my "original" idea

So my idea isn't so original, but as I pointed out in my first post on the
subject, we here on IP had NEVER discussed it, and god knows we need new
stuff to talk about on here....

It isn't final by any stretch of the imagination, but at least they are
working on it....
This comes from the abstract from the June ADA meeting.  You can obtain the
original by going to the meeting website and

...and to those people who told me to "give you a break" and "dream on," and
who think I am "plodding along in my sorry little life, not doing the work
and hoping for a cure," I invite you to READ ON!!!

Transdermal Basal Insulin Delivery through Micropores
Abstract Number:       191-OR
Abstract Category:        Clinical Therapeutics
Abstract Scheduled:        GW104-C         Sunday - June 16 2002

Painless, needle-free, insulin infusion from a transdermal patch is
demonstrated as an alternative to continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion by
an insulin pump or to intermediate or long-acting injectables such as NPH,
Lente, Ultralente or Lantus.  A new transdermal delivery system based on
thermal microporation has been developed to enable the transdermal delivery
of proteins and peptides such as insulin.

A pharmacokinetic study was performed in five non-diabetic volunteers to
evaluate an insulin patch delivery system containing a commercially available
insulin lispro formulation in a liquid reservoir patch. Shallow microscopic
pores were created through the stratum corneum of the volar forearm in a
rectangular array (90 pores/cm[sup]2[/sup], 13 cm[sup]2[/sup]) by a painless
thermal microporation process. A liquid reservoir patch was filled with 1.3
ml of U-100 insulin lispro (Humalog, Lilly) and applied over an array of
micropores for 12 hours. Serum samples were taken every hour for 14 hours and
analyzed for lispro insulin content with a radioimmunoassay specific for
lispro insulin (Linco Research, limit of detection = 2.5 [mu]U/ml). Serum
lispro levels showed a steady infusion throughout the 12-hour patch
application. The mean serum curve had a C[sub]max[/sub] of 13.7 [plusminus]
2.7 [mu]U/ml (mean[plusminus]SE) at a T[sub]max[/sub] of 6 hours. After patch
removal, the serum levels declined back to baseline in approximately 2 hours.
On average, serum insulin lispro levels were maintained above 5 [mu]U/ml
between 1 and 12 hours. The mean area under the curve was 114 [mu]U-hr/ml.

Basal insulin infusion has been achieved using a transdermal patch containing
an unmodified approved insulin formulation without the use of chemical
enhancers, iontophoresis or ultrasound.

Studies are underway to develop a convenient 24-hour insulin patch to provide
painless, needle-free, basal insulin delivery for people with diabetes.

OK, so now who wants to volunteer their ass for national television like
those skinny bony models for the birth control patch!!  I'd do it, but I
don't think it would be a positive image for teh diabetes community at
large...heh heh heh

Sara SP AZ