Re: [IP] FW: NNF - Low-Carb Diet Bad for Bones and Kidneys

This is the abstract, Jim:
(and my skepticism of nutritional research is based on reading of
many articles, but I do agree that there might be a few good ones in
the mud (like below).  And I also can appreciate that it is very hard
to do good controlled studies in this field.  So I'll await your

  J Okla State Med Assoc 2002 May;95(5):329-31	Related Articles,  Links
Effect of weight loss plans on body composition and diet duration.
Landers P, Wolfe MM, Glore S, Guild R, Phillips L.
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Oklahoma Health
Sciences Center, PO Box 26901-CHB 469, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma City,
OK 73190, USA.
Are low carbohydrate high protein (LCHP) diets more effective in
promoting loss of weight and body fat and can individuals stay on an
Atkins-like diet more easily than on a conventional weight loss diet?
A pre-test/post-test randomized group design composed of three
cohorts was utilized to test 1) a LCHP ketogenic diet; 2) the Zone
diet; and 3) a conventional hypocaloric diabetic exchange diet that
supplied < 10%, 40%, and 50% of calories from carbohydrate,
respectively. Body composition was measured before and after the
intervention treatment period with dual energy X-ray absorptiometry.
Mean weight loss was 5.1 kg for those who completed the 12-week
program. There were no significant differences in total weight, fat,
or lean body mass loss when compared by diet group. Attrition was
substantial for all plans at 43%, 60%, and 36% for LCHP, Zone and
conventional diets, respectively.