[IP] medic alert tatoo

>When I first read about a tattoo, I thought "Cool, with a tattoo one
>have to wear an I.D. bracelet!"  Just have the tattoo on the writst with
>medic alert symbol!  Oh well, call me weird.  My husband won't let me do it
>as he is afraid of infection but I thought it was a cool idea.
>dx 3/63

Debbie, I haven't been following this thread.  (I sadly just threw away the
last three digests and knew I'd regret it... ugh.)  BUT, I had to chime in
because I just got my tatoo 11 days ago.  It was supposed to take 10 to 14
days to heal (for a "normal" person) and it is already completely healed.  I
love it!!!  It just says "diabetic" above a blue cross.  The whole thing is
the size of a medic alert necklace pendant.  And I'm so happy I never have
to wear that darned thing again (or, as was more often the case, realize
that I wasn't wearing it at the worst time).

And for the person who doesn't like being referred to as "diabetic," but
rather a "diabetic person," at least for me, the tatoo does mean something
more than just an alert would.  I think that diabetes really is a huge part
of who I have become.  There's never a time when I'm not thinking about
and/or planning for it.  In a way, the tatoo, for me, is a way of owning it
and even celebrating it in a way.  (Not that I wouldn't trade it in in a
minute...)  Maybe it's like (although not necessarily in magnitude) when a
minority group is called by some hideous name and then the group themselves
start using the name as a way of taking control of it...  Well, it's hard
for me to explain in an email, but it is more than just a medic alert tatoo
for me.  And I LOVE IT!