[IP] "Pizza effect", etc.

I was taught that certain foods high in fat will affect your blood
sugars.  The examples given are pizza, pasta, etc.  And, yes, in fact,
I do get the "pizza effect".  But, I was not convinced that fat had
anything to do with it.  I compared pizza and a fast-food sandwich
(double cheeseburger, etc.).  Comparing at equivilent carb content, I
found that the burger actually had MORE fat than pizza..and yet, the
burger did NOT cause this delayed rise in blood sugar as pizza did.
Also, most pasta is relatively LOW in fat.  So, I think the doctors and
dieticians are completely off on the reason.  Fat may slow the
digestion of carbs...but hardly enough to make a difference in most

I also noticed that it wasn't just a delay in carbs.  For pizza, if I
gave my normal bolus, even over a dual wave, I would still have a large
RISE.  But, if I gave the same bolus for the same carbs for other food,
it would work out just fine.  I actually found that those food that had
the delay also required MORE insulin than other foods.  This didn't
make sense.  So, I thought protein might be the culprit.  But, some of
the problem foods are very low in protein...and the amount of protein
that would be needed to cause such a dramatic change was more than I
would eat.

So, I figured there was another reason.  Well, last week, I found out
the REAL reason for the pizza effect.  It turns out that certain types
of foods (I forget off the top of my head what specifically) actually
trigger the release of glucagon in the body.  Pizza is one of those
foods (there is something in pizza that does this).  So, you bolus your
normal amount to take of carbs, but the body then releases the glucagon
which causes the delayed rise in blood sugars.  That is why I need to
give EXTRA insulin when I eat pizza.  Problem is, each person reacts
differently.  So, there is no set rule as to calculate this.  One
person might have to give an extra 5 units versus another who only
needs 1.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share this information for those who also have
been misled to believe that simply eating a meal with high fat content
will do this.  Amount of fat doesn't matter. :-)  I was glad to read
this and find out that my logic wasn't wrong.