Re: [IP] Paradigm problems - power, vibrate, etc...

> It seems to me that the majority of people here do not like
> the paradigm. All I have heard are complaints about it.
> Are there people that like it? Or am I
> one of the few and the proud?

Overall, I really like the Paradigm.  Almost all of the features, when
you stop and consider what came before, are improvements over the
previous Minimed designs.  Even the new priming method and related
supplies - they have cut at least a minute or two off my site change
time.  I'll even forgive the temporary lack of a belt clip since they're
supposed to be working on one.  And I'll forgive the mottled screen in
the heat.  BTW, I don't have to wear sunglasses to see it.

Battery problems make the pump scary for a pumper, though.  Consider the
various issues: quiet alarms, 6 hour warning before no-power or no
warning at all, relatively low battery life (2 weeks or so) - and then
mix in the effects of something like Humalog with its gone-in-two-hours
or so behavior.  You are being put in a position where you can't be sure
your pump is going to be working throughout your sleep.

You might temper the low-volume problem by using vibrate.  Of course,
when you use vibrate it shortens the battery life even further, but for
me, vibrate is unworkable.  It isn't fun being woke up in the middle of
the night because your pump vibrates and tells you that you have
finished the last of your square wave bolus, that you only have 30 units
left, or that you are using a temporary basal rate.  Thanks, but I'd
rather sleep.

I'd love to have a setting which uses vibrate for truly bad alarms: no
delivery or no power - and uses beeps otherwise

Frankly, I see Medtronic doing one of two things: tackling the problem
(if fixable) via a firmware update or advising users to change the
battery once a week.  We'll see how it goes.  I'd actually love to know
what they updated between 1.7 and 1.8.

Still, I love my Paradigm.  It just scares me sometimes!