[IP] insulin receptor regulation

Here's a question to the group.  I've been having to up my insulin over this
summer because of weight gain and insulin resistance.  Now I know that with
hormones, depending on the amount of the hormone we have circulating our
bodies, they up and down regulate the amount of receptors on the cell for
that hormone.  How can I lower the amount of insulin I take so that I can
increase the receptors and make myself more sensitive to insulin?  And
possibly do this with out a bg rollercoaster or allowing myself to be high
for an extended period.
I'm trying to get more exercise to help me do this but is there any other