Re: [IP] Recent articles on MSN and MSN Health sites

When my daughter wad dx'd in 1969 with Type I, it wasn't called that.  Back
then, they didn't differentiate between Type I and Type II.  They didn't use
those terms at all.  What they said my daughter had was juvenile "brittle"
diabetes.  I only mention this because the word "severe" reminds me of
"brittle".  I like your letter but I wonder if the writer knows the
difference between Type I and Type II.  I personally consider Type I to be
the "severe" type of diabetes.  Type II's can do more for themselves in
getting their diabetes under control with diet, exercise, etc.  The only
reason Type II may be more serious than Type I is that they are older when
they are dx'd, therefore, their age is working against them and they probably
had more going wrong with them in the first place.  I think the majority of
people, when they think of diabetes, think of Type II since 90-95% of the
population has Type II.  They probably have a mother, father, aunt or uncle
or g-parent with Type II and, therefore, don't realize how serious Type I is.
 That's why the public should be made more aware of Type I.  They probably
don't realize how Type I's have to take MDI or be on the pump, and all the
other things a Type I has to do that a Type II may not have to do.  Just my