[IP] Re: Changing Out Sets

mom to Joshua wrote:

"I was always told, and heard it on this list that leaving
it in longer takes the risk of infection.  But, Man, when he is having such
great BGs you kinda hate to mess with things.  So, in other words, you don't
really see a reason to change out as often as what has been said??  So I'm
not taking a big rish with Josh by leaving a site in, say 5 days maybe 6?"
I'm new to pumping (and Diabetes for that matter), but my CDE told me that another patient of hers developed permanent scar tissue by leaving her sets in for 4 or 5 days at a time from the constant infusion of insulin in one spot, and advised me to change every 3 days.  Even if you don't get an infection, over time you may develop scar tissue that will interfere with insulin absorption, not to mention being unattractive.  I too hate to ''mess with things" when everything's going so well with one site, but I change every 3 days anyway.