Re: [IP] Parents

In a message dated 9/14/02 1:18:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> The worst thing my parents did for me was perpetuate
> the "you did something wrong" myth

      I'm realizing more & more that diabetes has been saddled with a "shame &
 blame" reputation, to quote a ped endo in Boston. As long as we don't take a
proactive stance with those whose insensitivity & ignorance serve to impede
anyone with diabetes from proactively caring for him/her self (such as
schools that demand even teenagers check their bgs ONLY in the nurse's
office), then we're also part of the "problem". The reason kids are
encountering so many problems nowadays is that for too long, diabetes was
"out of sight/ out of mind". My deceased first cousin never let any of his
physician colleagues know that he was diabetic, never checked his blood
sugar, & I now realize that he was able to do so because by running high, he
didn't have to worry about a low that would have drawn attention to him. And
because he "hid" it so well, even we family members paid no attention to his
diabetes. Sad....
Renee (Melissa's pump mom)