Re: [IP] veterans question

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 21:53:33 EDT, Deirdre wrote:
>Hi you great veterans of diabetes,
>I was just wondering about 2 questions
>1.  What was the best thing your parents did for you?
>2. What was the worst thing your parents did to/for you?
>mom to Nicole (3) dxd 10/2001
>Kelly (8), Blake (5) and Luke (1.5)

After looking at your signature I decided that I need to point out that the
years I was living with my parents ended in 1950 when, after excellent
preparation, they sent me away to college. So there was no such thing as
insulin pumps or blood glucose testing or carb counting. And for the first
2.5 years we had to deal with food rationing and gasoline rationing during
World War 2.

The best thing they did was to get me treated by doctors who did not impose
limitations on my physical exercise. I don't know if my parents did this
consciously or by accident (and it's now too late to ask them), but I have
become aware of many other child diabetics in the 1940-1960 period whose
doctors severely restricted their exercise (apparently because of the risk
of hypoglycemia).

I am really hard pressed to come up with a "worst thing". I was so fortunate
with the way my parents learned about and handled my diabetes, yet were
somehow able to withdraw parental control as I matured.

I have covered my early years with diabetes in the booklet I am preparing
for distribution at the party on 1/11/2003, at which I will celebrate my
survival for 60 years. All registered members of Insulin Pumpers are
invited, but you have to figure out how to get yourselves to Phoenix,
Arizona. If you are interested, send me a **private** email with your snail
address and I will put you on the list for an invitation.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000