[IP] travel with pumps

barbara wrote:
> (I have a 508), and they tell me they can only send out507Cs
>SNIP... I am terrified something will happen to my pump.
> SNIP do you all INSURE your loaner pump??

The main differences are 507/507Cs only have one basal profile, no remote and
no vibrate mode...you can get other things for the vibrate
function...hopefully you can deal with only having one basal profile (NOTE
this does NOT mean ONE basal rate, it means ONE basal profile), and surely
you don't need the remote...the less stuff you have to tote the better in my
opinion.  Which is why I have never traveled with a spare pump...across the
country, to Europe, to infiniity and beyond.

As to the replacement cost, you BETCHA it will cost to replace the lost or
stolen pump - You are lucky it is only half price (I guess that is
driving-off-the-lot depreciation, eh?).  How much do you tihnk it would cost
to replace your own pump??  Unless you have it covered on your homeowners
policy or something like that, you are SOL if you lose it or it is
stolen...Minimed isn't going to "eat" your lose, so to speak, Just as
Allstate will just shrug their shoulders if your car is stolen,,,and your
comprehensive policy lapsed 2 weeks earlier...

I would "personally" recommend that if you are as terrified as you write.
that you LEAVE it home and take syringes.  Worst case scenario...If your
suitcase is stolen with the spare pump in it, and then you are pick pocketed
while you are filling out the lost forms, whatcha gonna do?   However, that
said, I would say, RELAX...just go have fun...and bring enough syringes, IN
CASE somethng happens (there are pumpers all over th world though, if that
makes you feel better). If it makes you feel better to have a spare, bring
it, but not if you are gonna be constantly worried about it!  Call your
insurance carrier adn ask if you can add it.  Can't you add expensive watches
and paintings?  not that I HAVE expensive watches or paintings...but SOME
people do....

bon voyage!!!