[IP] Not a bad Mommy

I grew up with a type I mother, whom we were raised to love and support.

We (my brother and I) recognized there were times Mom was not able to
help herself and we needed to step in.  16 months is a little young for
that, but he'll grow to understand.  Shouting will happen.
Combativeness may happen.  In time, he will know that Mom will be back
when her numbers are better.  In the meantime, he'll learn to watch out
for her and protect her as best he can.

We also had the help of our father, who led by example, and taught us
how to recognize if Mom knew she was low, how to help her when she was,
and how to prepare if she refused to believe she was low.

Standing there with a baby and watching is not the appropriate response
to a hypo.  Putting baby down and getting Mommy what she needed, if she
couldn't figure it out for herself, is the appropriate response.