[IP] diabetic nephropathy Fluid restriction

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:26:53 -0500
From: "jhughey" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #610

> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:21:41 -0400
> From: "melissa atcheson" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] diabetic kidney disease
> I have to disagree with Jan's advice to watch fluid intake with early
> problems (sorry Jan!).  Dehydration can be very harmful to damaged
kidneys -
> it is important not to decrease fluid intake when kidneys are not working
> 100%.....but. ...once kidneys are no longer functioning & dialysis takes
> for them - then Jan is right -- at that point it is very important to
> fluid intake very carefully and decrease the amount of
> pop/water/ice/soup/jello/milk/alcohol/icecream etc... (not a fun diet!).
> colas won't hurt healthy kidneys, it is when kidneys are sick and can't
> phosphorus that colas are a problem.  The phosphorus builds up in the
> (because the kidneys can't remove it) and it pushes calcium from the bones
> making them weak.  Phosphorus isn't well removed by dialysis (that's why
> phosphate binders are taken with meals) - so colas are not recommended
even on
> dialysis (sorry Jan!)
> Melissa
> dx Dec 22/92
> pumping Jan 08/02
> Jan said:
> <Don't over drink; IOW if thirsty, drink but don't <overstress damaged
> kidneys.Stop the dark
> <colas, but diet 7-Up, D.Sprite, and diet Root <Beer are okay. So is iced
> tea.

hmmmmm - I certainly disagree with the disagreement. The part that says:
>  "Dehydration can be very harmful to damaged kidneys -
more .. snipped
You only have to restrict fluids when your kidneys are so damaged that they
no longer can take the excess water out of your bod. At that point you will
feel so lousy you will beg to be diayzed. dehydration is one of the top
causes for acute renal failure in the elderly. they cant get out of their
chair or bed to get a drink. read the labels on the sodas if the soda
contains phosphoric acid  its not good for you if you are on the edge of
renal failure.  Colas almost always have phosphoric acid as the base of the
drink. thats why colas can clean rust spots off of your car so well.
A. L. Bender, M. D.