[IP] kids and special shoes

What's the deal about shoes?  I can certainly understand where this would be
an issue when someone has developed neuropathy -- but are shoes really a big
issue for a type 1 who is in good control with no complications???  My
daughter (like many adolescent girls) is VERY into her shoes and the thought
of having her shoe options limited because of her diabetes would not go over
well . . . Anybody care to comment on the whole issue of "diabetic shoes"  ?

Pumpmama to Katie
If  Katie has normal sesation over her feet, eg, she can feel a tiny pebble
in her shoes she does not need diabetic shoes but if she cannot feel a tiny
pebble she does. I dont understand why all special shoes have to be so ugly.
I had some patients in their early teens that developed a foot drop and knee
weakness she required braces in order to stand, those shoes were a sin to
put on an attractive 11 year old girl, even worse on a 21 yearold unmarried
woman.I remember one left the office with her dad, crying, and her mom
called me asking me what I had done. She walked out of the office with a
crutch, which she could not do in the past. She got used to wearing them
when she found she could do anything she wanted to and not fall down or
trip. She went to therapy and was walking without braces in a year. It is
like correcting scolosis. ugly braces and clumsy ways  to wear them all the
time for some girls, most of the day for others.  The use of special shoes
in the absence of diabetic neuropathy of the anesthetic type is not
recommended for Katie.She should see a podiatrist to have her nails cut and
can get a pedicure if they are careful not to cut the lunule area of the
nail, the area near the cuticle. ,spot

A. L. Bender, M. D.