Re: [IP] Re: Insulin Resistance = Predictor of Nephropathy

In a message dated 9/12/02 8:01:20 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I'm sorry about bringing this up again (last time I did no one was
 interested...), but I'm wondering if this article is a reason to try to take
 the least amount of insulin that I can.  It claims that the insulin
 resistance is the problem, but nothing in this article makes me think that
 the researchers really teased out resistance vs. daily dose.  Of course, I
 am going to continue keeping my tdd to a minimum, I guess I'm just wondering
 if anyone knows anything about the effects of too much insulin (I mean, if
 you're resistant, not lows) on a body over time or if anyone has any
 thoughts on this subject. >>

I don't believe it's the amount of exogenous insulin you take. The excess
insulin your body makes is the problem. In other words, it's the pathology of
insulin resistance in itself that causes the problems. Also, many type 2s
have Syndrome X, or Metabolic Syndrome, which is a combination of insulin
resistance (and the attendant high, naturally occurring insulin production),
high blood pressure and high lipids.

Researchers are discovering that chronic, low-level inflammation is present
in prople who are more susceptible to type 2 diabetes (which they found in
the process of studying inflammation in relation to heart disease).
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome also is associated with insulin resistance (or
perhaps it is vice-versa).

Type 1 and type 2 are very different diseases with the same outcome: High
blood-glucose levels. Having type 1 does not mean that you cannot become
insulin resistant (which is a marker for type 2 diabetes).

One of the very best ways to lower insulin resistance is through exercise.
So, I would say to take however much insulin you need to keep your BGs in
control as often as you can -- and exercise.

Jan and Elvis