Re: [IP] Osteoporosis and diabetes

In a message dated 9/12/02 11:05:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis by having a bone density test.
> Alas, another chronic condition to add to my list.  I am addicted to coffee
> as it was a free food prior to my pumping days and wondered about calcium
> absorption and caffeine.  I have read that it does effect absorption but am
> unsure of when I read that.  My doctor has placed me on Fosamax and wondered
> if any have had any experience with that.
> Nancy

Hi Nancy
Sorry to hear about the osteoporosis.  I don't know about caffeine and
calcium absorption but I do know that the phosphorus in the dark colas that
Jan is always warning about :-) affects calcium absorption.  My nutritionist
told me that for every diet soda I drink I should be drinking a glass of milk
because the phosphorus leaches the calcium from the bones.  Oh joy, something
else for the Diet Coke addicts among us to worry about!