[IP] Re: about to go back to lantus

Yes, there are some people for whom the pump is not the best treatment
option. Not the majority, but nonetheless it happens. Not too long ago,
someone from the list quit pumping for some of the same reasons you are
considering it.
>From what I understand, the pump companies typically have a return policy.
Since you are on day 28, I'd check into it soon because some of them are
30-day policies. I would think and hope, however, that given your situation
some arrangement could be worked out to get you a refund regardless of the
precise day you turn your pump in, if you decide to do so.
Best of luck.
dxed T1 9/92, pumping since 1/02

In a message dated 9/11/02 4:30:57 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< I am at day 28 of my first pump, Paradigm.  I have spent many hours in
person and on the phones with MM reps, nurses and my own CDE.  I have
been in the hospital (for the first time in my 59 years) because of
dehydration and have lost alot of sleep getting up twice a night to
check my sugars.  My belly has been sore, red, white, poked with 3
different types of sets and generally abused.  I just cannot get a set
that works well beyound 5 or 6 hours!  If I leave it in longer it gets
inflamed and my blood sugar soars.  I have tried both using and not
using the IV prep - makes no difference.

I was on MDI for only a year before the pump, so I'm doubtful that I am
not absorbing because of previous shots.

I have sent one pump back and am wondering why this 2nd one doesn't do
anything when there is a fairly obvious occlusion of some sort.  All I
know is I am not getting the insulin and my blood sugars are totally
unpredictable.  Woke up last night with 357, having gone to bed with a
110.  Never had this stress and problems when on Lantus and Humalog.

I am thoroughly disheartened because all of my friends and family and
myself believed the pump would be a good thing and it has turned into a
disaster.  And I and my insurance company have put out nearly $5000.00!!
Are there just some people for whom the pump does not work?  And if so,
have we wasted all this money on a very expensive lesson? >>