Re: [IP] Pump Vs Number of Readings (Long)

I wanted to add to Eileen's comments.  I took the same doses of NPH and
Regular insulin from the time I was about 13 until I went on the pump
when I was 27.  I was brought up with the attitude that there was
nothing you could do for a teen age diabetic but give them plenty of
insulin and let them eat what they want.  I was in the hospital almost
monthly. I am sure because of more factors than just hormones.  I
leveled out when I moved away from home at the age of 16.  I think
because I knew I was on my own even though I never really got along with
my mother especially where my diabetes was concerned.  For years, I
bought my insulin over the counter and never went to the doctors.  I
never tested my blood sugars.  I did, though, have lows, but I just
treated them and went on.  When I was 27, the bottom fell out.  I could
not keep my blood sugars up.  I struggled with this for five months
before I could get approved for a pump.  I was switched to Humalog.  It
was hard to get in the habit of taking care of my diabetes when I had
went for so long acting like I was a normal person who took shots.  For
the first few years that I was on my pump, I still did as little as
possible.  One day, for whatever reason I decided to wake up. One thing
that has been so much help to me is this web site.  I now test my blood
sugars between 6 and 8 times a day.  My last HbA1c was 6.7.  I have been
so lucky.  I had to take control.  The pump didn't do it all by itself.
 It does take work on the part of the user.