[IP] Growing up D (was dating and diabetics)

> Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 02:48:52 -0500
> From: "Scott Huber" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] dating and diabetics

> Way  back, about 30 years ago when I was first diagnosed, I went from
> being very popular and active to becoming a social outcast, some of my
> best friends parents wouldn't allow their children my best friends to
> pla(y) with me anymore because I was (different) I didn't really
> that, because I was still me.

I went through the same thing 38 years ago.  I always called it the "China
Syndrome".  I learned that many of my friend's parents where ignorant of
They often thought I was "too delicate" to run around & be active.

So I just learned to be independent & do it anyway,  many time to make a
to the parents (& to the local  Boy Scout leaders who wouldn't let me go in
hikes /
camping w/o my dad along to watch over me, that I CAN do it w/o a

This had some unforeseen benefits later when I was a adult BSA district
chairman. It helps me give the new adult leaders a better perspective of
for kids in their troops that may have an additional (medical) challenge.
Most times
It CAN be done with some planning ahead of time.