[IP] Re: overseas travel

** Reply to message from email @ redacted (insulin-pumpers-digest) on
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:28:37 -0700

> There's been some talk about airport security
> screening on the list as of late, and I'd like to
> expand on that: has anyone had any trouble with
> overseas travel? On Friday, I'm flying to Italy on
> Continental - I doubt I will have any problems here,
> but I'm not sure about coming home. Continental
> customer service in the US connected me with
> international customer service, which said I needed a
> doctor's note (! what that will mean to an Italian
> gate agent, I have no clue...). In general, they
> (customer service) had no idea what I was talking
> about, and when I explained, STILL seemed to have no
> idea what I was talking about (e.g. told me to have a
> prescription for my shots. argh. I just told you, I'm
> NOT ON SHOTS! ok, I'm done.) Anyone with experience in
> this area? Anyone have a magic number for someone at
> Continental who knows something about anything? :)

My suspicion is that it depends on the screener.  I have a prothesis which sets
off metal detectors big-time.  Last year we went to Tuscany, and the return
flight involved flying from Pisa to Milan, and then changing planes to fly back
to Chicago.  When I want through security at Pisa, I flashed my prothesis, and
the screener said (the Italian equivalent of) "yeah, yeah. OK" and waved me
through.  At Milan the female screener pointed at a chair for me to sit in
until she could get a male to process me (apparently it's a no-no for a female
screener to search a male passenger in Italy).  In all the hulabaloo over the
prosthesis no one noticed the insulin pump.  So the answer is probably: "it

Richard G. Larson, Professor                   (312)996-8616
                   Director Undergrad. Studies (312)413-2171
Dept of Math., Stat., and Comp. Sci.,  U. of Ill. at Chicago
851 S. Morgan Street,    M/C 249,      Chicago IL 60607-7045