[IP] Multiple "Amusement Parks" replies

"Chris Jones" <email @ redacted> wrote in "Metal Detectors at Amusement
> Say it isn't so!!!  I'm doubting your honesty.  I am just incredulous that
> amusement parks would be using metal detectors.  I someone afraid that  a
> terrorist is going to hijack "Space Mountain"?

Oh yes, many parks use metal detectors now.  Whether or not they do any GOOD
is open to debate, but park management certainly has reason to believe
they're a good idea.  Not just for terrorists -- many city parks (various
Six Flags parks, Kennywood in Pittsburgh, Paramount parks, etc.) have had
problems with gang members bringing weapons in, for instance.  There was a
fight in the parking lot at Six Flags Great Adventure (I believe, although
it may have been Six Flags Magic Mountain) a few years ago.  If the parks
can keep that junk out and keep the parks safe for families and their
children, great!  Personally I don't think the metal detectors actually DO
all that much directly except slow down people going in, but they DO serve
as a deterent if nothing else.  Nothing incredible about it.

"Lori Favreau" <email @ redacted> wrote
> We're heading to Six Flags New England this weekend (in
> Massachusetts).  This will be my first experience riding
> while on the pump.  Any secrets to keeping it secure?

I personally use a Unique Clip-N-Go for the pump, making sure it's velcro'ed
nice and tight.  On rides that bounce around a lot, I'll then tuck that into
my jeans/shorts pocket -- the combination makes sure the pump doesn't go
anywhere.  I'm not sure how you normally wear your pump, but any of the belt
loop type things should be good as long as you make sure they're attached
well and are closed properly.

My sister, who's also a coaster nut and doesn't use the clip-n-go because
she prefers to keep her pump hidden, has no problems just sticking her pump
in a velcro'ed pocket on her shorts.  If you have a pair of cargo shorts
with good sealable pockets (velcro, snaps, etc.), those work wonders -- I
almost always wear cargo shorts to a park if it's warm enough for shorts.

Another possibility, if you wear a belt bag ("fanny pack") for things like
your meter, you may be able to tuck the pump in there.  Just be careful to
not zip right over the tubing!

email @ redacted wrote:

> I've always wondered if Katie should be disconnecting when she goes on
> rollercoasters

I've never bothered.  For one thing, on a busy day when you may be waiting
in line for a good hour, when would be a good time to disconnect?  Before
you get in line?  Not good.  At the station?  Then what do you do with the
pump?  I wouldn't trust leaving it with someone in the station, so it ends
up going on the ride with  you ANYWAY.

> especially the monster one

Which "monster one" is that? :-)

> It just seems to me that there's a very real chance that the
> g-forces could cause the "plunger" thingy in the cartridge
> to be depressed -- even just a little bit would be quite a
> few units for her

I suppose it's always possible, but I've never had a problem, and I've
ridden literally hundreds of roller coasters thousands of times since
getting the pump.  Now, the activity level and adrenaline associated with
going to the parks does drive down my blood sugar ANYWAY (I usually cut my
basal rate to 20% when at a park, AND eat lots of junkfood all day) so it's
possible this HAS happened to me and I never noticed.  However, I doubt it,
and wouldn't consider disconnecting for the reasons above.