Re: [IP] Pump and new security at airport

In a message dated 9/8/2002 12:02:13 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I was wondering if anyone else had similar problems or solutions.  Does
> anyone carry a doctor's note?  Any experience with this problem would be
> appreciated.
> I have been through the airport 5 times, and only once, in Canada, did they
> ask me what it was, when I explained, they let me right through.  Every
> other
> time, it didn't even go off.

When I traveled with my daugther (a tall 11 year old -- looks 14) to take her
back and forth to camp in Oregon this summer (the Chris Dudley Basketball
Camp for kids with diabetes is awesome, by the way!!!)  the fellas in
security spotted her pump everytime she went through (she wears it clipped to
 the inside of her waistband of her pants).  When they asked her to take her
"pager" off, each time, all she had to say was "That's my insulin pump" and
they waived her through without batting an eye.

We did bring with us (but were never asked for) a box with a bottle of
insulin with the printed prescription label (in her name) on it since that is
the new regulatory requirement to allow you to take diabetes stuff as
carryons (syringes, lancets, etc.) on an airplane.  We used to carry a letter
from our doctor, but those are no longer considered acceptable since they're
believed to be too easy to forge . . .

Pumpmama to Katie