Re: [IP] Re: Basals almost doubled???

In a message dated 9/6/2002 2:46:47 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> After a frantic 3 days of very high bgs, we now are giving Eileen almost
> double the basal rate she had before these strange highs happened. This
> really scares me, from 1.2 at night to 2.0? I know if it works its supposed
> to be ok. but its so much insulin. Scary, huh?
> Just awaiting the lows I know are going to be coming along soon.

Yep, scary -- too scary for me.  When katie hits one of her hormone phases
(every 2-3 months and lasting  4-9 nights from midnight to 4-6 am) -- I'm up
every two hours testing her and giving her corrective boluses (which triple
her basal rate and more).  I talked with her endo about this and she said as
long as I was willing to do this, it was the safest way to deal with it since
you don't know when the hormone induced highs will stop.  I'm just too
worried about sending her crashing to crank up her basals for this).

Just my 2 cents worth

Pumpmama to katie