[IP] Re: Scott , dating and diabetics

Scott and others,
I am so sorry for your atrocious childhood experiences that are now spilling
into adulthood.
This thread caused me to think back to when I met my husband and how he
learned I had diabetes. I couldn't even remember. He couldn't remember
either. That's how little of a deal it was. I guess I can count myself as
lucky. And the fact that it wasn't a big deal doesn't mean he's aloof about
it. He is my greatest support and I'm constantly amazed at his balance of
understanding that diabetes is serious, yet it isn't a really big deal that
has to overshadow our lives.
I think more education is always a good thing and can lead to some progress
with some people. However, I do think people are sometimes just the way they
are no matter what. There's always going to be a segment of the population
who just simply doesn't want to be associated with people who are different,
whether that means by race, religion or illness. Call me a curmudgeon, but
this is just what I've observed.
I don't think this should stop any of us from continuing our efforts on our
own or in groups to educate more people about diabetes and the people who
live with it, and live very full and interesting lives with it.
Those who don't accept our education are just missing out.
On the brighter side, I have met many people since pumping that are so cool
about asking questions and they react really positively. I've even had people
get kind of silly and laugh and ask what I do with it when I have sex. Some
people might not like that, but I am comfortable with the questions and
actually feel like people see me as more normal when they are so comfortable
asking. They are more impressed and interested than anything. I also believe
geographic location has a lot to do with people's acceptance and tolerance. I
live in a big city and I find there's generally more acceptance here. When
I've traveled to smaller towns, I feel different. Maybe it's just my
silliness in feeling out of place because I'm away from home. Maybe it's a
little of both. I don't know. Again, my observations. YMMV.
I wish for all of you who are single and wish to find mates to find a person
like my husband. They are out there. Keep the faith.
dxed T1 9/92, pumping since 1/02