[IP] Re: question for the veterans.

On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 22:26:33 -0400, Marianne wrote:
>What kind of blood sugars did you have when they tested you at the doctor's
>office?  What did they tell you was a good number?  Did they think then that a
>single blood sugar was an indication of overall control or were they just doing
>"the best they could"?

Even though they reported the numbers to me, the numbers never meant
anything to me, so my memory of them is long gone. I didn't learn how to
interpret BG numbers until I began home BG testing in 1982, so I had been
given almost 40 years worth of fasting BG numbers that had meant nothing to
me. Even if someone tried to teach me how to interpret the numbers, the time
between BG tests was so great that I forgot it between tests. I guess the
doctors sometimes suggested an increase or decrease in insulin dosage based
on those BG tests, which I sometimes followed and sometimes ignored.

Since those BG tests at the doctor's office were always required to be
fasting tests, I think many of the doctors treated those results as an
indication of overall control. I think that "doing the best they could"
applied more to urine tests.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000