Re: [IP] dating and diabetics

Way  back, about 30 years ago when i was first diagnosed, i went from
being very popular and active to becoming a social outcast, some of my
best friends parents wouldn't allow their children my best friends to
pla with me anymore because i was (different) I didn't really understand
that, because i was still me.  I have never hid my diabetes, but now as
a single man of 38 with this pump attached to me (which i wouldn't give
up for the world let alone a woman) I find that once agaiin people look
at me a little different again, not nearly as upsetting as when I was a
child, but it does show the great lack of education to the general
public about diabetes.  As a T1 diabetic and a critical care nurse I
have been debating with my self to develope some  sort of education for
the general public, so that maybe they can see us and understand us a
little better, stop the ignorance.  Any comments would be greatly
appreciated or ideas
                Thanks Scott

>>> email @ redacted 09/06/02 03:54PM >>>
I think that if someone I was dating was diabetic and I had no idea was
not
familiar with the problems of diabetes, I would be ok with it.  A  low
blood
sugar may scare me, but I sure would be willing to understand.
Since I have diabetes and understand the problems, I am very
understanding and
willing to learn about any problems someone may have.  Though I really
don't
care to learn about them on the first date or at least talk about them
in
deal, for hours, on the first date.  Maybe, 3rd or 4th date.
Now, if I am going on a first date, I always tell them the signs of low
blood
sugars and even tell them about my date experience, but I don't go into
great
deals or tell them everything about be diabetic.  Not fun for a first
date.

Laurie