[IP] Re: Question for Veterans

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 17:18:23 -0500, Jan Hughey wrote:
>used some other test that I can't remember the name of - does anyone else?
>We used a combination of urine and some other liquid in a test tube, and
>then we put the test tube in a holder.  A
>little pill was placed below the holder and we lit the pill with a match,
>which caused the solution in the tube to boil.  We then matched up the color
>of the result to a chart to determine how much sugar was in the urine. Did
>anyone else use this? >>>
>Was it Benedict's solution? That predated the Clinitest with the convenience
>of a tablet. I did not use that but I bet Roger Campbell and/or Tom Beatson
>did. I'll also *wager* that if that doc is alive today he doesn't believe in
>pumping. (~_^)

Linda's description sounds like a combination of two separate tests from my
experience. I used Benedict's solution with several drops of urine in a test
tube that was heated for several minutes on the kitchen gas stove (or in a
lab with a Bunsen burner). Then there was a test kit (Sheftel?) in which a
tablet was added to a mixture of urine and water in a test tube and heated
by burning another (different) tablet under the test tube.

When Linda says that her doctor did not believe in Clinitest, it sounds like
he thought the older test was more accurate, as though accuracy made a

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000