Re: [IP] testing and treating kids without waki

> Hi:
> I have been reading about giving something to eat to kids without
> waking them up. I am the parent of Gustavo, dx 4 months ago. I still
> do not know how to detect that I need to provide something during
> the night. I have a baby radio monitor from his room to mine, and I
> am assuming that he will make noise if he does not feel OK. But I am
> reading that you provide something to eat and the kids are sleeping.
> So, how do I know that I need to provide something. And how often
> this occurs on average. thanks g guillemin

I suspect it varies a lot for each child and is predicated on their
activity levels, food, etc.... I know with Lily, I checked her every
night between 2 and 3 in the morning until she went off to college.
Every week or so I would find that she was low and needed some
glucose or high and needed to bolus. Perhaps once or twice a year,
the low would be dangerous i.e. 20-30's. Of course, had I not
checked, I have no idea what the lows of 40 - 60 would have turned
into by morning. During her 8 years of diabetes, I only know of 2
times that she needed assistance. Once shortly after diagnosis, and
once about 4 or 5 years ago when she had a low that caused a mild
seizure in the night. Yes...., I found her during my routine 2 am
check and it scared me half to death. I attribute the variability of
her night time bg's to two things. 1) constant and extreme levels of
athletic activity and late meals or snacks where the carbs / insulin
are just not right. I checked her in the night for 7 years and felt
is worthwhile for the times we averted problems. This may not work
for you, but one interuption of sleep at night is about average at
our house anyway. If it's not one of the kids, then it's because I
need to take a leak. Might as well check my child as well and
schedule it for 2 - 3. I always woke her and had her check. Believe
me, she can do it on automatic pilot now.