[IP] testing and treating kids without waki

I have been reading about giving something to eat to kids without waking
them up. I am the parent of Gustavo, dx 4 months ago. I still do not know
how to detect that I need to provide something during the night. I have a
baby radio monitor from his room to mine, and I am assuming that he will
make noise if he does not feel OK. But I am reading that you provide
something to eat and the kids are sleeping. So, how do I know that I need to
provide something. And how often this occurs on average.
g guillemin