[IP] Re: HoustonChronicle.com - Diabetics get break on hiring+Wash. Post

In a message dated 9/6/02 email @ redacted writes:

<< "But medical technology has changed so much that it is easy to control
diabetes <snip> said Griffin, who was diagnosed with the
disease four years ago and uses insulin himself."

It is a pity that someone in his position would make such a blanket
statement. >>

Just having diabetes just doesn't seem to prove good sense <gr.>.
Yesterday's Washington Post's traffic column dealt for the second time with
an incident of <gasp> blood sugar monitoring on the commuter rail.  Now, he
is claiming that the incident "left blood on the woman's forearm", so there
may be some issues there, but in response to the "angry responses from those
in the diabetic community" that he received (and printed 2 examples of) he

"I am a diabetic, quite familiar with blood-testing kits.  They take two
hands, with some care needed to stick, place blood on a test strip and
dispose of a still-sharp needle.  I would not want a stranger with a used
needle standing next to me on a crowded train."  He suggests if no lavatory
is available, "the passenger can get off at the next stop, and find a more
stable, private place to conduct the test.  God bless them."

Besides wondering if he has heard of lancet devices (well, the autolet still
had the lancet exposed after the test, but it's been many years since I've
seen one like that), and wanting George to advice him on how often he really
needs to dispose of that thing, I'm really tempted to go demonstrate to him
how to do a blood test without putting the rest of the world in danger.
Anyone else? <gr.>  (HE is Ron Shaffer at email @ redacted).

Linda Z