[IP] Pump Vs Number of Readings

Charlie said:
>>  As I follow the IP comments I keep wondering if it is the pump which
improves peoples' A1Cs or the fact that they now test a whole lot more than
before going on the pump.

I wonder if they had tested that much before the pump and then taken
corrective action (more insulin or some compensating food) what kind of
control they would have had.  Of course I realize that the pump avoids the
need for sticking the syringe needle in more often and that may be the
reason people are willing to test more frequently and take more corrective
actions.  <<
------------------------ ------------------------------

Many things other than the pump go into achieving good bg control.  Frequent
testing in and of itself will not accomplish good control either.  As you
noted, taking the necessary corrective action is an important factor.
Taking the necessary action, however, is after he fact  i.e., correcting a
bg that is already out of target range.  In my experience, using MDI
requires more after-the-fact corrections (with more hypos and extreme highs)
than pumping.  No long-acting insulin, including Lantus, can match the
changing basal needs throughout a 24-hour period.  A pump, with properly set
basal rates, can match these needs, albeit not perfectly, with fewer
corrections, fewer hypos, and fewer highs.  A1c does not tell the whole
story.  Although my A1c improved after pumping, the biggest benefit was a
more consistent bg.  I tested more often, and worked harder, prior to
pumping.  Since I began pumping, I receive a payback for my effort because
the pump is the most physiologically correct way to administer insulin.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MiniMed 507 - 1998