[IP] Basal adjustments & Diabetes Education

Jackie P said:
>> When I was diagnosed in 1965, I took 1 injection per day.  Later and on
own, if I ate a large dinner. ice cream, cookies etc., I would add 5 units
Reg. in the evening.  It was long before we were encouraged to do MDI.  My
doctor always said: "A Diabetic is his own best doctor as he knows how he
feels and reacts."  Later on (20 yrs) later, he said, "Well whatever you are
doing apparently is good for you since you have had no complications and
never been hospitalized."  Never had complications until I had had the big D
for 34 yrs.  I have truly been blessed!  I can't believe any doctor would
insist on being called every time we needed a little tweaking. <<
------------- --------------------------

When I was diagnosed, my internist, along with most of the medical
profession at the time, was of the opinion that as long as there were no
symptoms (hypos and effects from high bgs) control was satisfactory.  He
soon changed his opinion to that of, the tighter the control the better the
long-term results.  In 1957-8, I suggested that I take more regular insulin
when I ate more and less insulin when I exercised more.  He was all for it
and encouraged me from then on to learn and do as much as I could.  Hanging
over my desk is an excerpt from the 1978 Joslin Diabetes Manual, which I
quote below:

Education is a goal to which nearly everyone aspires.  It is almost
impossible for those with diabetes to cope with modern life without
comprehensive knowledge of their condition.  Education is not an addition to
treatment  it is treatment! . . .Those long-term diabetics who have
survived best are those who knew the most.  No matter how often a diabetic
sees his or her physician, whether it be four or more times yearly, the fact
remains that the person with diabetes must live with that disease 60 minutes
an hour, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and now frequently for 50 or more
years!  If a person requires two injections of insulin daily, the total
number of injections amounts to about 750 a year, 7,500 in ten years, and
almost 23,000 in 30 years.  Not only his comfort but his very survival
depends on knowledge.  No hospital can be considered first-class without
providing a teaching program for diabetics.

Dr. Leo Krall (1915-2002), Director of Education at Joslin; developed
self-maintenance programs for diabetes; editor, Joslin Diabetes Manual,
Eleventh edition, 1978

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MiniMed 507 - 1998