[IP] sherry's magnolias

Sherry wrote:
> but my albumin was 660.8 when normal is 0-29!!!  I'm not even
> exactly sure what this means. He started me on an aceinhibitor

I think up to 200 it is called microalbumism (sp), and if you started taking
the ACE inhibitors then, it can halt, slow, and possibly reverse in time and
in conjunction with controlled bg.  It is too bad they didn't catch this
sooner and start you on the ACEs a while ago...it is my opinion that all
diabetics should be started on ace inhibitors about the same time they start
taking insulin....but that is just me...

Over 200 it is called proteininuria (sp) and the ACE inhibitors help slow
damage, but can not reverse it any longer.  I would ask and make sure your
doc has done the blood and urine tests for creatine and serum creatine as
well as albumim

pardon my ignorance, but just outta curiousity how come you cant do a 24 hour
when you are pregnant?  don't you still pee from the same place?  ewww...I am
NEVER having kids...they have these little hat things that sit in the potty
under the seat that can collect it for you if your aim is not so good....

> what exactly is happening to the old kidneys?

> ShouldI stop drinking diet colas and only drink water?

well water can't hurt, but there is NO REASON to not drink diet cola, unless
you are allergic to nutrasweet, which you would know.....

> Why IS protein being spilled?

short answer....too much for the kidneys to control...see below....and of
course being pregnant MAY have something to do with it, I don't know...all i
know is from the NON-breeder perspective....

> Am I on the road to serious problems?

aren't we all  :-\

> I'm only entering year 17 of being diabetic.

yeah, I feel your dread, Sherry...i had been diabetic 17 years when my eyes
bled the first time. they say eyes and kidneys "tend" to group together in
terms of complications....but then I had never been pregnant, which puts
GREAT stress on your kidneys and i had not been pumping, which I think you

> I guess the ghost of Steel Magnolias is haunting me now

you are not alone, my dear....

> hadn't ruled out the idea of having a second child later on,

In my PERSONAL opinion, you need to weigh your health considerably, in fact
it should be your number one concern, in my opinion...Sure, diabetic women
can and should have kids, but NOT if it is gonna harm the mother!!!

oK, enoughof my speaking off the top of my head..let me get some facts for ya

I got the following from a web site called www.niddk.nih.gov and it pretty
much describes it....capitalized notes are my own.  NOTE THE END OF THIS IS
KINDA SCARY....I am sure Jan H and many others can chime it.....

" The deterioration that characterizes kidney disease of diabetes takes place
in and around the glomeruli, the blood-filtering units of the kidneys. Early
in the disease, the filtering efficiency diminishes, and important proteins
in the blood are lost in the urine. Medical professionals gauge the presence
and extent of early kidney disease by measuring protein in the urine. (NOTE:
THIS IS WHERE UNDER OR OVER 29 COMES IN)   Later in the disease, the kidneys
lose their ability to remove waste products, such as creatinine and urea,
from the blood. Measuring these waste products in the blood gives an
indication of how far kidney disease has progressed. Symptoms related to
kidney failure usually occur only in late stages of the disease, when kidney
function has diminished to less than 10 to 25 percent of normal capacity.
NOTE THIS NEXT THING:  For many years before that point, kidney disease of
diabetes is a silent (MEANING YOU DON'T KNOW IT IS HAPPENING) process.

Five Stages Scientists have described five stages in the progression to
kidney failure in people with diabetes.
Stage I. The flow of blood through the kidneys, and therefore through the
glomeruli, increases--this is called hyperfiltration--and the kidneys are
larger than normal. Some people remain in stage I indefinitely; others
advance to stage II after many years.

Stage II. The rate of filtration remains elevated or at near-normal levels,
and the glomeruli begin to show damage. Small amounts of a blood protein
known as albumin leak into the urine--a condition known as microalbuminuria.
In its earliest stages, microalbuminuria may not be detected on each
evaluation. But as the rate of albumin loss increases from 20 to 200
micrograms per minute, the finding of microalbuminuria becomes more constant.
(Normal losses of albumin are less than 5 micrograms per minute.) (YOUR DOC'S
LAB SAYS OVER 29...CLOSE ENOUGH TO 20) A special test is required to detect
microalbuminuria. People with type 1 and type 2 diabetes may remain in stage
II for many years, especially if they have good control of their blood
pressure and blood glucose levels.

Stage III. The loss of albumin and other proteins in the urine exceeds 200
micrograms per minute. It now can be detected during routine urine tests.
Because such tests often involve dipping indicator strips into the urine,
they are referred to as "dipstick methods." Stage III sometimes is referred
to as "dipstick-positive proteinuria" (or "clinical albuminuria" or "overt
diabetic nephropathy"). Some patients develop high blood pressure. The
glomeruli suffer increased damage. The kidneys progressively lose the ability
to filter waste, and blood levels of creatinine and urea-nitrogen rise.
People with type 1 and type 2 diabetes may remain at stage III for many

Stage IV. This is referred to as "advanced clinical nephropathy." The
glomerular filtration rate decreases to less than 75 milliliters per minute,
large amounts of protein pass into the urine, and high blood pressure almost
always occurs. Levels of creatinine and urea-nitrogen in the blood rise

Stage V. The final stage is kidney failure. The glomerular filtration rate
drops to less than 10 milliliters per minute. Symptoms of kidney failure
become apparent.

These stages describe the progression of kidney disease for most people with
type 1 diabetes who develop kidney failure. For people with type 1, the
average length of time required to progress from onset of kidney disease to
stage IV is 17 years (THERE YA GO...17 YEARS - I HATE BEING AVERAGE!!!). The
average length of time to progress to kidney failure is 23 years. Progression
to kidney failure may occur more rapidly (5-10 years) in people with
untreated high blood pressure. (NOTE THIS NEXT PART...EITHER YOU GET IT OR
YOU DON'T - DOESN"T MATTER YOUR CONTROL!!!) If proteinuria does not develop
within 25 years, the risk of developing advanced kidney disease begins to
decrease. Type 1 diabetes accounts for only 5 to 10 percent of all diagnosed
cases of diabetes, but type 1 accounts for 30 percent of the cases of kidney
failure caused by diabetes."

so them are teh facts.....kinda sad and scary, but do not stick you head in
the sand.

Sara who feels your pain......