[IP] Re: Yesterday's Endo Visit--A Tad Scary

Sherry C wrote:
>>>My A1C was 6.3 and my blood pressure was okay-- 128/78 lying and 132/80
standing. but my albumin was 660.8 when normal is 0-29!!!  I'm not even
exactly sure what this means. He started me on an ace inhibitor called Mavik
(?). The doc said he will see me again in 3-4 months and we will redo the
blood tests and maybe do a 24 hour urine test <snip> what exactly is
happening to the old kidneys?  Should I stop drinking diet colas and only
drink water? >>>

It seems like we do everything we're supposed to do, and still get
blind-sided. I don't know why your endo wants to wait 3-4 months and *maybe*
do a 24-hr urine test. The $ won't come out of his pocket, so get one NOW!
Then, my usual *suggestion* is request a referral to a nephrologist. *If*
this is to be of great concern, a kidneyologist is your best bet. Waiting,
maybe-ing, and all that rot don't do one thing for you except keep you under
your endo's control. I don't know what is happening to the old kidneys, but
kidney dz is a common complication. I can only stress what I just said. As
far as stopping diet colas and drinking only water - no need. Stop the dark
colas, but diet 7-Up, D.Sprite, and diet Root Beer are okay. So is iced tea.
Don't over drink; IOW if thirsty, drink but don't overstress damaged

BTW, kidney disease is also a sneaky thing. It's like watching grass grow -
you can't see it, but you do need to mow it once in awhile cuz it grows when
we aren't looking. I feel so much better (not great, yet) on dialysis
although I don't enjoy the treatments. I'm looking to feel even better
before too long. (~_^)

In the '60s people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird
and people take Prozac to make it normal.