[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #584

> Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:26:42 -0500
> From: "Trish Ober" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] dot-to-dot fingers - you wanted to know why?
> I have all the new meters, lancets, special devices for arm testing, etc. but
> don't seem to have any blood in my arms to test with - that is why I continue
> to use my fingers 8 to 15 times per day (I exercise a lot and therefore test a
> lot).  All I get out of my arms are many bruises which start to look kind of
> gross after a few days.  I have very small veins (also floater veins) and it
> is always VERY hard for the lab techs to even find an arm vein to draw my
> blood out of.
> The only time I can get a decent arm sample (even though only a small sample
> is needed) is immediately after doing bicep curls!
> Trish

Trish,  I can really relate!  I have been Type 1 for 31 years. They have
not been able to get blood out of my arms for 20 of those 31. They have
to take blood from the backs of my hands and have even used preemie IV's
to get it from the tops of my feet! Last time I was in the hospital they
had to put my IV in my neck because it was the only place they could
find a viable vein. I've often wondered what they are going to do when
my hands give out!!!!

Karen in North Pole, AK
Dx'd in 1971
Pumping since 1996