Re: : Re: [IP] Insurance Co. rates vs Self Pay rates

>From: "John Sullivan" <email @ redacted>
>To: <email @ redacted>
>Subject: : Re: [IP] Insurance Co. rates vs Self Pay rates
>Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 02:57:02 -0400

>I think there may also be something to the fact that When the insurance
>company contracts with a provider they are bringing to them a Huge amount
>of
>clients, thus the insurance company can negotiate a much lower rate than an
>individual can, I also think that Providers would go out of business if all
>they had to rely on were individual non-insured self payers.  Not sure,
>just
>an assumption i have always had about this......

Recently on a National News Report on NBC, I think, there was an article
regarding medical costs for those who do not have any medical coverage.  The
gist of the article was that there is an increasing number of people who are
negotiating with the their health care providers.  In the negotiation the
provider would accept from the patient the same amount as what they were
paid by Medicare or BCBS for the same procedure.  For example, If a
procedure cost $110.00 and they accepted $19.00 for this the patient would
then pay that amount.

In addition they interviewed a spokesman from the AMA who stated that "There
is nothing  such as regulations preventing the doctor from negotiating with
the patient on the payment amount of the charge".  "In some cases, they
might be able to get more done for the patient because of this."

Just a thought for those who do not have any type of insurance coverage. of