[IP] Jan? question for the veterans

I have read this statement from you before and I am curious.  Did he
have a reason for telling you this?  It seems he was just being mean.
 It was like he was singling you out.  I am sorry for the way he made
you feel.  I just didn't know if it was his way of trying to make you do
better or did he believe this too and if so, why?